New Play Festival 2009
YPT’s 2009 New Play Festival is an annual celebration of bold new voices!
Join us for a workshop production of 8 of the best plays from this year’s In-School Playwriting Program.
April 6, 7, 8, 2009
GALA Hispanic Theatre
3333 14th Street NW
Washington DC, 20010
Admission is FREE and open to the Public
This season YPT worked with hundreds of elementary, middle and high school students throughout the city, resulting in the creation of over 400 new plays. The eight plays to be performed in the festival reflect the variety and depth of voices found throughout our diverse community. We hope you will join us as we honor and celebrate the incredible work of these young people.
- Time’s Up! by Ines Contreras, Bancroft Elementary School
- In Labor of Life, by Sarah Giffin, Woodrow Wilson Senior High School
- A Big Sister, by Samantha Mehring, Fillmore Arts Center
- A Dedicated Gardener, by Israel Nunez, Capital City Public Charter School
- Opportunities Taken and Given, by Julia Ruiz, Bell Multicultural High School
- The Other Side of the Mirror, by Devanti Shouff, Bell Multicultural High School
- The Elevator, by Nora Spellane, Woodrow Wilson Senior High School
- Tornado Boy, by Antawan Taylor, Plummer Elementary School
WAMU 88.5 is the official radio sponsor of the 2009 New Play Festival.
Lead sponsorship of the In-School Playwriting Program is provided by the Commonweal Foundation, ANC-1C, and
Major support also provided by the The Global Fund for Children and the Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs.