- Each student has a story worth telling. We believe the stories that our students have to tell are valuable and provide communities with a powerful perspective about the youth experience. The YPT process invites students to share their ideas, dreams and beliefs through the playwright’s craft.
The arts are critical to excellence in education. We believe that theater and the art of playwriting are powerful tools in developing creativity and self-expression and in fostering learning across disciplines.
The process is more important than the product. We involve students in an ongoing creative process that enhances their learning and literacy while providing them with appropriate building blocks to construct a play. While we strive for artistic excellence, we believe the effect of the YPT process is ultimately more important than the work produced.
- We strive for high standards from all who participate in our programs. The YPT process honors and respects the value of the work of its professional artists, students and partners. YPT expects the same self-discipline and respect from students as it does from the professionals involved in the process.
We meet students where they are. By reaching out to students through organized in-school, after-school and summer programs at neighborhood schools and community centers, YPT provides students of diverse backgrounds with a supportive environment where they can exchange ideas and express themselves freely.
- We value collaborations and partnerships to leverage resources to accomplish our purpose. YPT fosters partnerships and forges strategic alliances that both advance and are consistent with our mission and brand. We hold ourselves accountable to optimally use our resources to fulfill our commitment to the community.
- We work to build a culture driven by inspiration, creativity and joy, and supported by collaboration and teamwork. The YPT office is a safe and comfortable space where all staff, students and artists are deeply valued and respected.
We are committed to providing staff with the space, freedom and time to innovate and dream, and with opportunities for personal and professional growth and development.
We each own and celebrate the success of our company. We believe in focused, outcome-driven work, and we strive to develop a staff that is deeply connected to our mission and accountable for the success of our students, our community and our mission.
- We know that YPT is a company powered by people. We therefore work to balance sustainable organizational and programmatic growth with thoughtful consideration for the physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of our staff, weighing all new opportunities and carefully considering their impact.